About The Programme
- The MSc in Actuarial Science covers a broader scope in research areas of actuarial and mathematical sciences, embedding the most urgent and current issues facing the actuarial and financial world.
- The current world financial ecosystem needs to embrace the uncertainty and hazards in a changing environment, characterized by numerous unpredictable events such as climate change, natural disasters and financial crisis. Unpredictable damage brought about by the occurrence of such events can have a deep impact on the actuarial and finance industries, particularly in the area of insurance and reinsurance. Graduates of the MSc in Actuarial Science will gain competence in research skills in areas such as catastrophe modeling, disaster management, corporate failure, financial crisis, and pricing of insurance/reinsurance products. You will also be equipped with skill sets to embark on careers in financial management, insurance/reinsurance and other risk-related analysis.
- The MSc in Actuarial Science programme empowers students with a competitive edge in research through in-depth training mediated by experts. As a postgraduate student, you will be integrated as members of our research groups at Sunway University with various opportunities to participate in research alongside supervisors through seminars, workshops, laboratory and fieldwork.
- In this module, you will have an opportunity to examine research designs with methodology as well as data analysis techniques employed by researchers. At the end of this module, you will be expected to formulate and submit a proposal for research in an area of their own interest or specialisation.
- This module will provide you with comprehensive reading lists and resources to help you develop their hypothesis or areas of interest. Library skills and training on how to manage information and resources will also be introduced in this module.
- The MSc is awarded based on the successful completion of a thesis. The thesis should demonstrate proficiency, criticality and mastery in the subject or chosen area of research.
Areas of Research
The School has a dedicated team of academicians and in-house actuaries who will mentor and discuss possible research topics with you in the following areas of research interests, but not limited to:
- Financial Modelling
- General Insurance (Property & Casualty)
- Mortality / Morbidity/ Longevity of a Population
- Risk Management