The core of the program is to provide the solution to one or more significant and challenging construction problems within industrial context. Thus the solution of the problem will have to take into account factors such as financial constraints, timescales and personnel management as well as technological issues. The Engineering Doctorate program is aimed at developing individuals who will not only innovate but able to implement the innovations.
The EngD is a radical alternative to the traditional PhD, being better suited to the needs of the industry, and provides a more vocationally oriented doctorate in construction. It is highly flexible and able to accommodate candidates from all levels of management. It is a full-time postgraduate where candidates are expected to spend most of their time carrying out their research at their organisations or industries.
Aims and Research of the EngD:
The main of the EngD is to develop construction industry professionals capable of demonstrating innovations in the application of knowledge suitable to construction sector. The research areas for the program are not limited to the following list that may cover:
- Innovation in engineering services;
- Safety and health in construction;
- Infra-structural engineering;
- Technology management;
- Quality management;
- Machinery and equipment in construction
- Construction process;
- Building maintenance and services;
- Planning and design in construction;
- Construction project financial planning and control;
- Advance construction materials;
- Construction technology issues;
- Information and communication technology (ICT) in construction;
- Re-engineering and adaptation of other industry management philosophies to construction industries.