Research areas available to potential candidates include the following areas (list not exhaustive):
- Development of screening, assessment, and intervention tools
- Linguistic analysis of speech, language and communication disorders using technologies (eg: phonetics instrumentation, fMRI, eye tracker).
- Teaching/learning aspects and educational management of students with special needs.
- Hearing problems amongst hearing aid users or cochlear implantees.
- Acquisition and processing of (normal) language.
- Development of norms for speech and language of normal children for local languages (eg: Malay, Mandarin and Tamil, local dialects and other local languages).
- Development of language descriptions for the local population in Malaysia.
- Aspects of sociolinguistics for example bilingualism, multilingualism, language choice, code-mixing, and code-switching, etc.