Psychology fundamentals and foundational skills
This will develop your understanding of core areas of psychology, including knowledge of the theoretical and empirical basis of our current understanding of human psychology.
- Biology I
- Biology II
- Psychology I A
- Psychology I B
- Developmental and biological psychology
- Personality and social psychology
- Abnormal psychology
- Perception and cognitive psychology
and Three additional units appropriate to the area of focus (18 points)
B. Research methods and critical thinking
This will assist you to develop an understanding of the scientific method and use this knowledge in order to critically evaluate contemporary and historical claims relating to human behaviour and mental processes and to apply this knowledge to the generation of new research questions.
All students complete:
- Research design and analysis
- Research methods and theory
C. Psychology in practice and society
This is the component of the course through which you will develop further skills and knowledge in psychology or study units in supporting disciplines that underpin your particular area of focus for practice.
All students complete (24 points):
- Mental health in the community
- Psychological testing, theories of ability and ethics
- Health psychology
- Introduction to counselling
Global Context stream also complete the following units (24 points):
- Transforming Community: Project Design and Public Relations for Social Campaigns
- Borders, People and Identity: migration in the 21st century
- Scientific Practice and Communication
- Positive Psychology
D. Elective study
This will enable you to further develop your knowledge of psychology, or to select units from across the Faculty or the University (in which you are eligible to enrol).
Elective units may be chosen from the faculty or across the University so long as you have the prerequisites and there are no restrictions on admission to the units. The units may be at any level, however, no more than 10 units (60 points) are to be completed at level 1 in this course.